In this article I will explain how to install the Web Server Components for Dynamics NAV 2016.
1. Install the ‘Web Server Components’ from the Dynamics NAV DVD.
2. Start your internet browser and go to http://yourservername:8080.
More detailed steps:
1. Install the ‘Web Server Components’ from the Dynamics NAV 2016 DVD.
a. Start Setup.exe from the NAV DVD. Choose Custom and Select the option ‘Web Server Components’:
Click Next and leave all settings unchanged:
Some of the components that now will be installed:
– IIS Web Server
– IIS URL Rewrite Module 2
– Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 Web Client
– Language Module for the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2016 Web Client
2. Start your internet browser and go to http://localhost:8080
a. Start ‘Internet Explorer’ and type in the URL: http://localhost:8080 You will now see the following:
b. You must add the name of your default service tier (NAV Instance) to the URL.
In my case it is ‘NST90Test’ so the URL will be:
If you want to ‘simulate’ a Tablet Client in your browser go to http://localhost:8080/NST90Test/tablet.aspx
If you want to ‘simulate’ a Phone Client in your browser go to http://localhost:8080/NST90Test/phone.aspx
The steps in this article only work if you install the Web Server Components on the same machine as your Dynamics NAV Server. The steps are quite easy in my opinion.
Want to install the Web Client on another server? Then additional configuration is needed. You can find more info about it on MSDN ‘Walkthrough: Installing the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Web Server Components on Three Computers‘.
If you install the NAV App on your tablet or smartphone it will not work because certificates are mandatory and more configuration is required then. Keep checking this site for more information about how to accomplish these things! More info will be added regularly.